Monday 26 March 2012

Postpartum Depression: It Can Happen Months After Birth HEALTH & WELLNESS

Contributor
 
Conventional wisdom poses postpartum depression as "baby blues" that strike mothers in the weeks after baby comes home from the hospital. It is portrayed with an image of a brand new mom in a bathrobe, listlessly rocking a tiny newborn in her arms.
In actuality, postpartum depression can occur any time within the year a child joins a family. Some experts even attest that postpartum depression can appear in mothers within the first two years of baby's life.

My Story: Postpartum Depression at Five Months After Birth

For me personally, between four and six months postpartum with all three of my children is when the despondency, fatigue and anxiety crept in. In fact, during the two or three months directly after the births I have been blessed with euphoria like I have never experienced at any other time in my life. This initial happiness and positive feeling have always been in stark contrast to the gloom that descended on my psyche months later.
Although many women's difficult labors and traumatic births can indeed trigger postpartum depression, I thankfully had easy, non-complicated births and very healthy babies. My husband was supportive and hands-on. My health was good. Breastfeeding was a breeze. I was so blessed and lucky to have my much prayed-for children. What the heck was wrong with me?

Delayed Postpartum Depression is Common

I have since learned that my experience with delayed postpartum depression is common. Approximately half of mothers will feel some level of postpartum depression within the first year after giving birth, and 10 to 15 percent of new mothers will experience a major depressive episode.

Medical Causes of Delayed Postpartum Depression

I have since learned that my experience with delayed postpartum depression is common. Approximately half of mothers will feel some level of postpartum depression within the first year after giving birth, and 10 to 15 percent of new mothers will experience a major depressive episode. 
One theory to explain delayed postpartum depression includes a decrease in breastfeeding frequency as baby grows, sleeps for longer stretches, begins solids or mother returns to work. Other possible causes are a drop in the level of maternal hormones and the return of thyriod hormones to pre-pregnancy levels.

Situational Reasons for Delayed Postpartum Depression

Situational realities of parenting a baby who is no longer a newborn can also contribute to delayed depression. A mother may have less help in caring for the child than in the weeks or months right after the birth. The first few months of life newborns sleep a great deal and may require seemingly less care than a demanding older baby. And of course, the exhaustion of parenting a baby can build, and it make take several months of sleep deprivation before the cumulative effects are felt.

My Story: Treatment for Postpartum Depression

I personally believe my onset of symptoms was due to a hormone shift, as my depressive symptoms have always occurred hand in hand with my postpartum hair loss, which signals a woman's tapering off of progesterone. Untreated, my depression and anxiety remain until I resume menstruation around nine months postpartum, leaving me in a state of prolonged PMS, if you will. Lovely.
Thankfully, I do not feel the need to suffer silently, fighting the urge to claw the walls one day and hole up in my home the next. I would much rather enjoy my children and my life. A low dose of the Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI) Zoloft effectively returns me to myself. Considered one of the safest antidepressants for breastfeeding mothers, my "Vitamin Z" helps me immensely. I prefer my intangible well-being to match my rational, true feelings of fierce love and disgustingly gushing happiness at being Charlie, Eve and Alice's mom.
Remember, any prolonged, negative change in your mood in the year or so after the birth of a child is possibly postpartum depression. Call your doctor to discuss your treatment options, no matter how much time has passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment