Sunday 6 May 2012

How To Be Really Free


Written by Helen Grace Lescheid

How can we pray for you today? 
“Jesus replied, ‘…So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.’ (John 8:34a, 36)
“Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.” (2 Corinthians 3:17).
How do you feel about the word “surrender”? It’s not a popular word in our culture. We are afraid that if we surrender we’ll be oppressed. Maybe a person in authority has abused us and colored our concept of surrender.
I have a friend who spent three years in a Japanese prison camp. He witnessed cruel beatings and insults on a daily basis.  Even now, many years later, he is afraid to give himself to God. He thinks he’ll lose his freedom.

But the opposite is true. When we give ourselves to God, we gain freedom.
When we surrender and Christ takes over, He sets us free from the sins that harm us and hurt others. When we truly grasp his love for us, we can let go of the fears that keep us bound. When we fill our minds with His truths, we’re set free from negative thought patterns that drag us down.
Walking in God’s way of surrender, we live in harmony with how we were created. We reach our highest potential.  We become more fulfilled and content. I’ve discovered that the more I surrender to Jesus, the more truly alive I am.
Sometimes I ask myself, “Why wouldn’t I want to surrender to Someone who is bigger and wiser than I am? Somebody who loves me, knows me, and always wants the best for my loved ones and me?”
Lord Jesus, I surrender myself to you to do your will and your works today. Take my mind – I want to think your thoughts. Take my eyes – I want to see each person as you see them. Take my heart – I want to love you more fervently and others more selflessly. Amen.
Questions: How about you? Are you ready to surrender yourself and your loved ones to God?
http://powertochange.com/blogposts/2012/04/30/how-to-be-really-free/

No comments:

Post a Comment