Wednesday 27 June 2012

Abiding in Christ

As Joshua Harris points out, in a world full of technology, it’s easy to think we can just unplug from God and recharge when needed. But Jesus Christ is the vine and we are the branches. 


Hi, this is Joni Eareckson Tada and you’re listening to "Joni and Friends.”

Okay, you know those days when nothing goes right? And if you’re like me, it’s often connected with a medical appointment. Last week for me was peppered with medical appointments, one of which was a bone density test. So as Ken and I headed to the hospital, we were thinking, “Can a bone scan be that complicated.” Well, let me say that for most patients it means slipping on a surgical gown, hopping on the table, and taking a 10 minute nap while the scanner does its thing. Well, not for me in this wheelchair.


First, the scanner was in this little, teensy, tiny room in which Ken had to squeeze my chair into a space the size of my closet (plus two guys had to get in there to help lift me on to the table). Heaving me onto that table was no easy feat; then Ken nearly wrenched his back positioning my body in line with the machine. After that, the scan was a cinch—it was getting dressed on the table and back up into my wheelchair that took forever. It had me praying, "Oh Lord Jesus, please give us grace, give us grace, Jesus; help us!" But you know what? That's 'normal' for me as a quadriplegic. My wheelchair has me constantly asking God for help!

Oh, to have a constant abiding in God! I dare not separate myself from Jesus … my disability just won’t allow it. I was reminded of this today while reading Joshua Harris' blog. I love him: he is a great preacher—a young preacher. He was referencing John chapter 15, verse 5 where Jesus says, "I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." Listen to what Joshua Harris writes; he says:

We live in an electronic world and that makes us want to treat [abiding in Jesus] as though we were charging our smart phone or our iPad. We think to ourselves, 'Okay, how long do I have to be plugged into God today through a quiet time or prayer or reading a book to get enough of a spiritual charge to then go out and do my thing?'No, friend! Jesus doesn't say 'I am the power cord and you are the cell phone.' He says, 'I'm the vine. You're the branch.' 
There is a huge difference. If you want life in Jesus, there can't be a disconnect. No, it doesn’t work like that! Abiding is living in this constant awareness of total dependence. Abiding is all about a relationship. It’s what desperate people do who realize that they have no life, no power in themselves." After all, we are the branch and Jesus is the vine: we are connected.

I'm so grateful that my disability makes me constantly aware that I'm the branch and Jesus is the Vine. But isn’t it true how often we talk about getting our spiritual batteries charged at a conference or a retreat so you can live off that energy for a month or so until you wear out and require another surge of power? But that’s so unbiblical. Branches don’t separate themselves from the vine to go off and live without the Vine. They can’t do it. Branches are part of the Vine and they’re supposed to act like it.

So friend, today be the branch that relaxes in, and abides in, and draws strength from Jesus Christ, the Vine. 

And if you need a tangible reminder of that powerful truth, don’t forget today is your last day to ask for your cross pin. Just visit my radio page would you at joniandfriends.org and we’ll get one off to you right away. Secure it to your lapel, and let it be a visible reminder that you, too, are secured to Jesus, the Vine.

No comments:

Post a Comment