Friday 15 June 2012

Thirsty

Written by Julene Uganecz

If your life feels dry you may not be experiencing a life equipped and empowered by the Holy Spirit.  Come and experience the Spirit-filed Life.  
“Whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst.”  (John 4:14a)
In my early years of mothering, I found myself in the middle of Borneo, Indonesia.  My husband flew floatplanes there, and our children and I spent long days in our hot humid home. On one particular morning, our well’s water pump sprung a leak. The pump was damaged, so I had to shut down the pump and turn off the pipes to our well.
The laundry in the machine sat wet, the kids came in dirty needing to bathe, and ants began to nibble on the dirty dishes. Wet wipes became my best friend. If you’ve ever been temporarily without water you know how inconvenient it is.  For people who struggle to find clean water at all, it is a matter of life and death.

I was getting though the day, making do when I heard something that sounded like rushing water.  I followed the sound to the front yard where I discovered a faucet.  It had been left on by our children, and this pipe ran on a different system than our well!  All this time I had been struggling when there was a supply of water, literally in my own front yard, but I was living as if I had no water at all.
It’s often like that in our relationship with God, we have His abundant supply of living water and yet we live like people who have no water at all. Our wishes-come-true prayers leave us unfulfilled, still thirsty for more.  Money, possessions, and even friendships can fill our souls temporarily, but these things never quench our deepest thirst.
There is, for each of us, a source of ever-flowing, forever-running, thirst-quenching water. Like the faucet that was running all along in my front yard, this living water is closer than we think. Can you hear it?
Jesus said, “Whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst.”  (John 4:14a)
It is only through a relationship with Jesus that our hearts are truly satisfied.  Are you tired of being unfulfilled, aching for something more?  Has the water pump in your life broken down?  Does your life feel dry?
Jesus said, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.” (John 7:37b & 38)
If you are thirsty today, come drink.  Open your Bible and drink in the word of God.  Open your mouth and pray, stepping in close to Him.  If it has been a while since you were last in church, be there this weekend.  If you’re feeling disconnected from your church community, commit to actively searching for a way to join in whether that’s a small group, a volunteer opportunity or simply talking to the person next to you.  Let the truth of who God is flood your life today.
Father, It says in your word that your living water never runs dry.  In times when I feel parched, remind me to come close to You.  Help me to be quick to run to Your word when my cup is empty.  Thank You for loving me so much. You always satisfy.  Amen
Question: Do you have a favourite passage of the Bible that you always come back to when you need to draw close to God? Share your favourites in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment