Tuesday 17 July 2012

Finding Treasures

Written by Gail Rodgers

Are your days filled with loneliness?  Do you dread getting up and facing another day? Come talk to a mentor. 
“[I]f you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.” (Proverbs 2:3-5)
Time just seems to stand still when I am with my two grandboys! All the cares I have simply vanish when I am playing pretend with an imaginative, delightful three year old, or getting warm cuddles and ready smiles from the sweetest little baby!
Yesterday they came over and I was a ready participant when Logan said, “Let’s have an adventure, Gramma!” We put on our warm hoodies and went outside to explore the back yard. We were hunting for treasures and treasures we found!

Though the spring wind had a harsh bite to it and a few snowflakes skittered across the sky we relished each treasure we found. On this adventure I saw things I usually pass by with fresh wonder. When my hands were cold and I was ready to go in Logan said, “Let’s find more treasures, Gramma!” So we did. His cold little fingers stuffed his pockets full of pinecones and acorns. And the day was good!
Today I steeped in the joy of yesterday and the cool adventures I shared with that special little three year old. It occurred to me that every day there are treasures around us. Every day we hurry past them as we get caught up in the harsh winds and snow flurries of life. When we get cold we retreat all together and leave the treasures laying where they are. We easily overlook the multitude of things to find simple joy in.
I was reminded of these verses in Proverbs 2. When we search for wisdom and understanding as we would search for hidden treasure – that’s when we find the knowledge of God. In that knowledge we will find out just how our amazing God is. We’ll see all that He provides for us and our faith will grow. The snow flurries and biting winds will not worry us for our faith will be well placed and our hearts will be secure, filled with the treasures we have found.
Today I will be more aware of the adventure I am on. I will look more closely for the wisdom and the treasures God has placed along my path. Even though the biting wind may blow I will stuff my heart full with the treasures of His love. And the day will be good. 
Father God,
Thank you for the adventure of life that You have set me on today. Please show me the treasures that I so easily pass by and grant me fresh joy in the adventure of today. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Question: What treasures have you discovered in your life lately? What keeps you from seeing your treasures?

No comments:

Post a Comment