Wednesday 7 March 2012

“THE STRONGEST PERSON I KNOW”


Posted by  

I found out my mom had breast cancer the day after my 16th birthday. The day is still burned into my memory. It’s one of those moments that you will never forget.
My mom has always tried to protect me. To this day I have to remind her that I’m not a little kid anymore and hiding important family problems will only upset me more than telling me the truth.
I’m not sure how long she knew before telling me, but I found out on October 11, 2005. When she sat me down and told me, I really didn’t know what to think. There were so many questions that I needed to ask that were just too unbearable to think about. How long has she known? How much has it spread? Was my mom going to die?
I tried to act strong around her and I didn’t show that much emotion, but immediately after she was out of earshot, I broke down. It was one of the hardest days of my life, but she always remained positive. I was too young to understand how she could just go on as if nothing was wrong, but because she stayed strong, our family did too.
The next couple months were hard, but somehow she still managed to make breakfast every single morning for my brother and me. I remember she still kept her sense of humor throughout the whole process. I came home one day to her standing in the doorway asking if I loved her new haircut, only to realize it was a wig. I don’t think I could have dealt with it the same way without her constant optimism. I don’t know if behind closed doors, she was terrified, but she kept our family together through a tough time and I will always be grateful for it.
My mom is my hero and I don’t think I’ve told her that enough throughout my life, but now it’s in writing, so she can’t really forget it. Because of her, I support breast cancer every chance I get.
October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Although women are still dying of the disease, many have joined the list of survivors thanks to organizations such as Susan G. Komen 4 the Cure and the American Cancer Society. Please support in whatever way possible and be sure to practice self breast exams for early detection.
 Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment