Sunday 25 March 2012

Weekend reads: Is there pink slime in your ground beef?

Food news and items of interest from around the Web for your weekend reading.

When I buy beef, I almost always purchase it from Hillacres Pride, a Lancaster County, Pa., farm that sells at my local farmers market and makes a monthly delivery to South Jersey during the market’s off-season. Today on the farm’s Facebook page, they wrote this.
 
Rest assured that our ground beef is 100% ground beef and does not contain pink slime. I am so glad we have our meat to eat!
 
Pink slime, the parts of cows that are usually considered inedible but are made edible by a chemical treatment, was nixed by McDonalds' recently. The USDA hasn’t gotten rid of it, though, and pink slime was back in the news this week.
 
  • ABC News reports that 70 percent of supermarket ground beef contains pink slime. I had no idea. Now I’m really glad I know where my ground beef comes from.

  • It’s not just in supermarket ground beef. The USDA is buying 7 million pounds of beef that contains pink slime for our nation's schools according to Yahoo. That’s one really great reason to pack your kids’ lunches.


  • You’ll probably see a photo of what looks like pink soft serve ice cream floating around the Internet and connected to many articles about pink slime.The Washington Post says that photo is not actually what pink slime looks like. That photo has been circulating for years and is actually associated with chicken not beef.
 
Enjoy your weekend!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment