Sunday 24 March 2013

An Acceptable Time


Written by Julie Cosgrove

Does God hear your prayers? Talk to us about that.
“But as for me, my prayer is to you, O LORD. At an acceptable time, O God, in the abundance of your steadfast love answer me in your saving faithfulness” (Psalm 69:13).

I saw a mother in the grocery line. Her small child hovered around her as we waited for our turn to check out. Common scene. The little girl tugged on her mother’s pant leg. The mother bent down and let the girl whisper in her ear. Then she stood and shook her head. “Not, now, honey. You have to wait.”  The little girl was at first satisfied, but her patience grew thin. The scene repeated twice more, each time the mother’s jaw became more set, her retort more firm. “I said, not now.”

It made me wonder how often I hover around my Heavenly Father in prayer and do not accept His response that now is not the acceptable time. Like that mother, He doesn’t devaluate my request, He just firmly lets me know my timing is off.  And, like the child in the grocery line, I often don’t take “not now” for the answer.  I keep asking.I don’t know what the little girl wanted, but it was obviously not the right time to have it. The mother’s loving attention to her child’s pleas never diminished, but her responses became more stern.  She didn’t tell her child it was silly to want whatever she wished for, or to go away and leave her alone.  She simply told her the time was not right.
Deep down, I know God’s timing is perfect and that He has great plans for me. God has my best interests at heart.  He knows the desires of my heart. But, perhaps, like the mother, He also knows when is the acceptable time to address my requests. God will never tell me a request is stupid or wrong, or tell me to go away and stop bothering Him. He will listen each time and respond in love, even if the response is “No, not now.”
As His obedient child, if I trust Him enough to ask, knowing it is not something within my own power to get, then I must also accept His answer.  I must trust it is given in steadfast love and is the best answer at that time, in that situation.  I must trust in His faithfulness, and whisper, “Yes, Sir”.
Questions: Has God responded to your request? Do you trust He has responded in love, even if it is “No.”?

Join us for our Daily Devotional Chat today in our Women’s Chatroom at 10:30 am EST.

Julie Cosgrove

Julie B Cosgrove is a Christian freelance writer and professional speaker. She has published three Bible studies, a devotional and a novel called Focused. Besides Power to Change, she regularly writes for several other devotional publications and sites. She belongs to American Christian Fiction Writers, North Texas Christian Writers, Advanced Writers and Speakers Association, North Texas Christian Women's Chamber and Toastmasters. A widow, she lives in Fort Worth with her son and two cats. Visit her website www.juliebcosgrove.com and her blog Where Did You Find God Today.com

http://powertochange.com/blogposts/2011/02/04/an-acceptable-time/

No comments:

Post a Comment