Friday 24 May 2013

Naaman's Servant Girl


One of my heroes is a child. I hope she made it to heaven because I want to meet her. I don't even know her name.

"Now [raiding] bands from Aram had gone out and had taken captive a young girl from Israel, and she served Naaman's wife. She said to her mistress, 'If only my master would see the prophet who is in Samaria! He would cure him of his leprosy'"(2 Kings 5:2,3).

If I had been captured by raiders, taken from my family, and now forced to work as an unpaid slave for some foreigner, I would hate it. Worse-Naaman was a high-ranking military officer in the dreaded Aramean army, Israel's bitter foes on their troubled northern frontier.

I would work every day in a cold rage, burying my feelings under a bland mask and plotting either escape or revenge. Instead, this little girl showed kindness to her owner. She felt sorry for him because he had leprosy and urged him to see Elisha, Israel's great man of God.
 
Through her intercession, Naaman was not only healed, but he had a personal interaction with the true God's authorized agent on earth. He was led to exclaim,"Now I know that there is no God in all the world except in Israel" (2 Kings 5:15). A courageous little girl was the broker of God's grace to him.



No comments:

Post a Comment