Thursday 30 May 2013

The God Who Hears You

"Always respond to every impulse to pray. The impulse to pray may come when you are reading or when you are battling with a text. I would make an absolute law of this – always obey such an impulse." ―Martyn Lloyd-Jones

How important would you feel if your father had 3 billion kids' phone numbers in his iPhone 4S, and you were just one of them? How much attention could one man give that many children? Virtually none. But we're talking about our heavenly Father, here. God, it turns out, has no limitations on His power, His knowledge, or His ability to be everywhere for everyone all at once! This was made clear in His talk with Moses. God said:

"I am pleased with you and I know you by name." ―Exodus 33:17

One New Year’s season I was sitting with thousands of college students at the Urbana conference at Illinois University. The arena was packed to the rafters. At one point in the program, they asked us all to pray…out loud. 20,000 students praying at the top of their lungs. I was overwhelmed not just by the noise or the cumulative effect but by the simple fact that God was capable of hearing all the prayers, deciphering the desires, formulating each request, and answering each one perfectly. In my ear, my prayer was the only one I could really hear; all the other prayers were in the background. But for God the Father, every prayer was the only one He could hear. No such thing as background prayers. Every moment of every day, millions of prayers are cast heavenward—He treats each one like the only one. Why?

God is interested.

"Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." ―Luke 12:6-7

He knows your name by heart, and it's always on His heart. If you have a thorn in your foot, He cares about it even though there may be floods and famine elsewhere on the planet. That means He can give you 100% of His attention and not have any less for anyone else. Your number is "1" on God's speed dial.

Father, I'm thankful that You are listening to this prayer and can give Your 100% attention to me! Thank You for being interested in me, for caring for me, for loving me. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment