Thursday 18 October 2012

I Wasn’t Ready to be a Grandma!


Written by Joan Giesbrecht

joan-hayden“Mom, embrace it!”
My initial response to Amber’s words were, “Yeah, right, that’s easy for you to say.” But within seconds I thought, “She’s right. I really don’t have any other choice.” But with that “embrace” has come anguish as we’ve grieved but also much joy as we’ve seen God’s blessing in both the journey and the arrival of this precious little boy. While this event may have surprised all of us, it didn’t surprise God. Before the foundation of the earth He knew all about this journey. I want to share some of it with you.

A multitude of feelings
For us, it began on January 12th with a phone call and a voicemail message. From these pieces we learned from Amber that she was pregnant. Amber had just turned 18 and was still living at home with us. As I left her room, tears engulfed me as I struggled with a multitude of feelings.
I can’t describe the overwhelming sadness that overcame me, followed quickly by guilt, feelings of failure, fear, shame, hurt and “if only’s”. Hadn’t I prayed since she was a little girl that she would marry a godly man? Hadn’t I told her since she was a preschooler that “first comes love, then comes marriage, then the baby carriage”? What about my ministry? How could I keep teaching Sunday school and directing Mommy & Me? Wasn’t I supposed to be an example to all these young moms?
Our hopes and plans were dashed
When Amber was a little girl, I could kiss it and make it all better. Now, to my despair, I couldn’t make it all better. I couldn’t make it go away. I had all these thoughts – perhaps the test was wrong, maybe she’ll miscarry. Wishful thoughts filled my head. But when a blood test came back positive and the hours became days and the days became weeks it was evident that we were on a journey with a destination.
The previous September, Amber had turned her life around. The once delinquent student became serious about graduating. The girl who loved to party and sleep in late worked hard to land herself a job at McDonald’s, and keep it. She left her old friends behind. She started coming to church with the family again. Our hope had been renewed! But now this. . . what went wrong? Could we have done something differently? I had so many questions.
Grieving the losses
A few months into the pregnancy my husband and I attended Oasis, a ‘respite’ retreat designed for pastors and Christian workers. While there I began to understand that what I was going through was a grieving process; I was grieving not only for the losses that Amber was facing, but also my own.
  • I grieved the loss of seeing my daughter fall in love, get married and eagerly wait to have a baby. Those are the special dreams every mother has from the moment her daughter is born.
  • I grieved the loss of joy in responding to the words “Mom, I’m pregnant.”Instead my heart was filled with intense sadness, guilt, anger, disbelief, hurt and confusion.
  • I grieved the loss of the thrill of telling family and friends about becoming a grandparent. Instead I felt like the news always had to be presented with some kind of bracket around it.
  • I grieved the loss of excitement about planning for a baby’s arrival as Amber flip-flopped from wanting to keep the baby to giving it up for adoption. While I expected her emotions to go up and down, I hadn’t anticipated my own emotions to follow as I became quite attached to this new life.
  • I grieved the agony of watching Amber experience her own losses. I’ll never forget the day she broke down sobbing in Bryan’s as we looked at all the beautiful grad dresses she knew she would never be able to wear. Meanwhile her twin sister, Natasha, was picking out ‘glass slippers’ to go with her ‘Cinderella’ dress.
Being able to put words to these losses and having them validated helped me immensely in dealing with my grief.
Seeing the silver lining
In the early days of Amber’s pregnancy we had to work hard to see the silver lining in the proverbial cloud but as the months have gone by we’ve been continually awed at God’s goodness to us. When Amber said that she wanted to go to her high school grad celebrations with her sister Natasha, I inwardly groaned. They don’t make grad dresses for pregnant teenagers. What would she wear? Wouldn’t she feel even more singled out without a fancy dress?
But God took care of us in an amazing way. One of the Mommy & Me “grandmothers” approached me and without knowing about our need said, “All week, I’ve been feeling that I should offer to sew you something. I’m a professional seamstress.” She sewed a gorgeous dress for Amber. When Amber put on her grad dress she said “I feel like a princess.”
As I was picking out baby pictures for Amber and Natasha’s grad celebration, tears came to my eyes. I realized that my dream of seeing them graduate together was coming true. When I first heard the news of Amber’s pregnancy, I didn’t see how it could ever happen.
What a blessing to be part of Amber’s journey from day one. We have been able to share in every doctor’s appointment, every ultrasound (what a thrill to watch her little baby kick and wiggle!) and finally to be there to support her as Hayden entered the world. My husband Lorne is thrilled to finally have another man in the house!
Amber has had an amazing support network from the community and church. Lois, a dear friend of mine, even volunteered to be her doula. She spent hours with Amber before and during labor, during the delivery, and after the baby arrived. Today, Amber is part of Stepping Stones, a Youth for Christ ministry to teen moms.
God’s faithfulness to heal and redeem
Now those early feelings of overwhelming sadness, guilt and fear feel like a bad dream as we hold our precious little Hayden or watch his mother tenderly care for him. The journey that began in January is far from over. It’s not an easy road that Amber has chosen for herself and this little one but God’s faithfulness encourages us all as we look to the future.
What about you? Do you struggle with grief and find it impossible to see the silver lining in your journey? There are some things in life that we feel can never be mended again. But there is hope in Christ. Jesus can bring healing to anything; with Him all things are possible. The Bible tells the story of God reaching down to us, loving us before we even knew Him, redeeming us from our circumstances, from our own choices and from the things we didn’t choose. God does love you very, very much and you can know the peace that comes from Him today. He gave His Son Jesus Christ to die on a cross for our sins so that we could be made new again. This newness of life comes through His sacrifice for our sins, a relationship with Him as our Lord and Savior, and an indwelling of His Holy Spirit in us.
If you are a believer in Jesus Christ, God has given you His Holy Spirit to help you live life according to His perfect plan. Living the Spirit-filled life is a choice we have to make habitually. Why not pray this simple prayer and by faith invite Him to fill you with His Spirit, empowering you to face the challenges and struggles of everyday life:
Dear Father, I need you. I acknowledge that I have sinned against you by directing my own life. I thank you that You have forgiven my sins through Christ’s death on the cross for me. I now invite Christ to again take His place on the throne of my life. Fill me with the Holy Spirit as You commanded me to be filled, and as You promised in Your Word that You would do if I asked in faith. I pray this in the name of Jesus. As an expression of my faith, I thank You for directing my life and for filling me with the Holy Spirit. Amen.

  • Claire Colvinsays:
    April, I know that it must feel like a huge mountain right now, cling to the hope that we serve a God who moves mountains. There is going to be grief first, let yourself experience that. Remember that grief goes through stages – denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. Watch out for these as you are communicating with others, be aware of what is going on inside of you. If you can, try to make some room in your schedule to give yourself some extra time and space to walk through this. If you volunteer, see if someone else can cover for you for a little while. This is not an impossible thing, but it is a big thing. Let it impact your life and do what you need to do to take care of yourself during this time. Remember too that your daughter is also grieving. Whether she is excited about the baby or not, her life has been changed permanently. The two of you will probably grieve differently, try to make allowances for each other as you can.
    You mentioned not being able to imagine what will happen – I don’t now specifically either, but I do know this: God will take care of you. In a few months there’s going to be a baby and God will be just as real then as He was last week, just as sure and as strong as He was when there was no baby. He will walk you through this, all four of you. I don’t know how He will provide but he will because He loves you. I think the best thing to do now is get as much support as you can. Do you have people praying for you? Are there others who have gone through this that can help? We have free, private mentoring available on this site. If you’d like to request a mentor, you can use this form. As you are able to, talk to your daughter. Has she graduated high school yet? Is there any way for her to take accelerated classes so that she can graduate before the baby comes? Are online classes an option for her?
    You need to be very gentle with yourself right now. Remember that this is in no way your fault, nor is it a reflection of your parenting skills. You didn’t choose this, you didn’t make this happen. It’s hard when our kids start making choices on their own that have such a huge impact not just on their own lives but on ours as well. it speaks volumes about what a good job you’ve done that in a crisis like this your daughter came to you and told you. She didn’t hide it away, she didn’t have an abortion and not say a word to you, she came to you because she knows that you love her and she believes that you can help. That is a parenting success. It might not feel like one right now, but trust me, it is. You are in this together, you don’t have the agony of having to watch this from far away, unable to help. This is a very good thing. In time you may be able to speak to your daughter about her boyfriend and whether or not this is a relationship that should continue but you may find that now is not a good time for that. Remember that on top of all of the emotions that she is feeling she has a large quantity of pregnancy hormones coursing through her body.
    Life will never be the same, that’s true. But what it is going to turn into isn’t just up to you or to your daughter. God is at work, writing the story of your lives and this is not where the story ends. I know that you are not in a place to wonder happily about this baby just yet, but I can’t help but wonder who he or she will grow up to be? Isn’t it amazing to know that God has already numbered the days and as soon as hair has formed on that tiny head He’ll set to work counting them. Know also that God sees your tears, He does not leave you to cry alone in the dark. Psalm 56:8 says, “You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book.” (NLT) I love that way that verse is translated in The Message, “You’ve kept track of my every toss and turn through the sleepless nights, each tear entered in your ledger, each ache written in your book.” Remember that when this keeps you up at night. God is there with you in the dark.
    Can I pray for you right now? “Dear Father, I pray that you would be with April right now. Be with her daughter and with the baby you have formed. Be with April’s husband as they try to figure out what this unknown future will look like. I pray that you would hold her heart gently in your hands, that you would comfort her in her sorrow and gather together the pieces of her broken dream. You promise in your word that you know the plans you have for us, plans to give us hope and a future. I pray that right now for April and her family. They need that hope and they need that future. You promised, and I believe that your promises stand much stronger than any decision I could make, any decision April or her daughter could make. So we’re standing on that Father because right now you’re all we’ve got. Make a way where there is no way. Be with them in this grief just as surely as you will be with them when the time comes to rejoice. Thank you that no baby is ever a mistake. We can join our bodies but only you can speak life into being. We don’t know why you spoke, but you did and so we cling to your promise that you work for our good. Thank you for loving us more than we can understand. In your name, Amen.”
  • Aprilsays:
    Thank you for writing this message of hope. My 18 year old daughter came to my husband and me just a couple of hours ago and told us that she was pregnant. I am grieving for all of those things you stated and, most of all, that her life will never be the same. I teach at an elementary school and her bio-dad is not in her life since we divorced when she was 13. Her boyfriend of one year has not treated her well but she insists on remaining in the relationship. He can barely take care of himself financially much less a baby. I just can’t imagine what’s going to happen. I know this baby will be so very loved but just can’t wrap my mind around getting to that position of happiness at this moment.

    Joan Giesbrecht

    Joan Giesbrecht was born and raised on a farm in Southern Ontario. She completed a Bachelor of Home Economics degree in Dietetics at the University of Manitoba and is a Licensed Early Childhood Educator. She is the mother of four daughters and two grandsons. Her and her husband, live in British Coloumbia, Canada. She currently directs a drop-in program for mothers and preschoolers called Time Out for Mommy & Me and co-directs a drop-in program for teen and young moms with Stepping Stones

No comments:

Post a Comment