Friday 16 November 2012

Spider Surprises & Spiritual Attacks


The other day I called my mom to see if she wanted to join me for lunch. She agreed to pick me up and then we surprised my two sisters, my grandmother, my nieces and my nephew who were already enjoying lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant.Spider Surprises & Spiritual Attacks   encouragements for wives    woman To My Husband siblings mom marriage fear enemy Encouragement Christian Wife Christian Husband Christian Community attacks    Unveiled Wife  It was really nice to see everyone together! Sometime during the conversation my mom shouted out, “Did she tell you what happened yesterday?” Her tone made it sound like an interesting story.

My oldest sister’s eyes lit up as she begins to divulge a horrifying story. She was cleaning the drapes in her bedroom when a black thing fell from the top of the curtain, passing behind her shoulder; dust was also flying around, so she didn’t think twice about it.

Moments later she moved a piece of the drape revealing a black widow’s web full of eggs. Quickly realizing that the M.B.F.O – mysterious black flying object – must have been “Mommy Spider!” She ran to the bathroom as she stripped down to her chonies. Jumping into the shower she glances down towards her bottom and sees the 8-legged creature, bigger than a quarter, latched onto her undies, staring right at her! Swatting it away in one giant motion, she takes her underwear off and runs down the hall screaming. Her children are bewildered by the tone of her voice, the fact that she is stark naked and the speed by which she is moving.
Dashing into her daughter’s bathroom, she turns the water on and begins spraying herself down. She didn’t want to stay in her bathroom because she didn’t see where the spider landed after she swat at it. She has now earned everyone’s attention in the house and they are all trying to ask her what’s wrong. She explains about the spider’s surprise visit as she searches her body for any its friends.

Panic begins to calm and the chaos slows. My sister grabs a sheet off of one of her daughter’s beds, wraps it around her body like a toga and sits at the top of the stairs, too terrified to enter back into her bedroom to get dressed. Within moments of catching her breath and trying to collect the courage to fight back, the front door opens. Her oldest daughter enters in with her friend and her friend’s mom. Embarrassment floods my sister’s face. She scurries to explain her new fashion sense, “I promise I don’t normally hang out in a sheet. There is a spider in my room, it attacked me and I’m waiting for my husband to get home so he can kill it!” The friend’s mom completely understood and shared a laugh with my sister about the encounter.

After hearing this story, my skin was tingling and I felt as though a big black widow was crawling up my pant leg. My empathy gets the best of me sometimes. I fell asleep that night and had a dream so convincing I thought it was reality. In my dream I had picked up a pair of boots to put away into a closet and as I set them down a big red, nasty-looking spider jumped up onto me, running past my shoulder, down my neckline and onto my hand. I tried to squash it immediately, but every time I tried, it moved like lightning, and every time it moved it bit my finger!

I snapped out of the nightmare so quickly, jolting upwards, that I woke up my husband. All I could say was “Spider!” He turned the lights on and began fluffing out the covers as we realized it was just a dream. Falling back asleep after that was so difficult for me.

Surprise attacks from things you hate, can effect many parts of your life. If you respond in panic, you may end up snowballing the event. Immediate reactions are hard to control aren’t they? Marriage is especially one of those platforms where immediate responses can end up snowballing into a mess. Threats are impossible to out run, even if you clean your house, pray everyday or go to church consistently. The enemy hates marriage and hates the opportunity we have to experience oneness with our spouse and with God. He will find ways to spiritually attack you and throw things at you that are going to make you uncomfortable, perhaps even terrify you, but it is important to trust God and hope in His promises.

Do you have a story of when an unexpected surprise attacked your marriage?

How did you and your husband respond?


About Unveiled Wife

About Unveiled Wife         Unveiled WifeMy name is Jennifer Smith and Unveiled Wife is my personal blog.  I am a Christian, a wife and a soon-to-be mother.  These are my three most important priorities in life, in that order.
Unveiled Wife launched in March of 2011.  I first began this blog to share with other wives the struggles and the healing I encountered in my first few years of marriage.  By God’s grace it has grown into much more than I could ever have imagined, reaching women from all around the world joined together in our community of almost 60,000.
I believe that if you want a thriving marriage, you must be intentional about it.  
My passion motivating every post is to encourage other women in their role as a wife, focusing on the foundational principles about marriage revealed throughout the Bible.  I write on faith, marriage and motherhood… and the occasional random post that may not fit perfectly into one of those categories.
My goal is to create an atmosphere where women feel safe to share their marriage experiences, find encouragement and affirm each other.

http://unveiledwife.com/spider-surprises-spiritual-attacks/




No comments:

Post a Comment