Monday 7 January 2013

Firmly Fixed : Great is his faithfulness

Written by Kristi Huseby
Do you feel like your dreams are lost? Come pray with a mentor.

“He shall not be afraid of evil tidings; his heart is firmly fixed, trusting (leaning on and being confident) in the Lord.”
(Psalm 112:7, Amplified Bible)

What does it mean for my heart to be “firmly fixed”? I confess, my heart has a tendency to live by its feelings. I hear a scary news broadcast and I immediately begin to worry about the future. I don’t see God answering my prayers the way I think He should and then doubt that He is good. I have a difficult conversation with my husband and immediately go to the long laundry list of things he’s done wrong over the years. I begin my day with God but then don’t give Him another thought. I see a beautiful jacket at the store and impulsively buy it even though we don’t have the money.
Why do I live by my feelings? Why is my heart not “firmly fixed” on God alone? I want to live that way but find my heart to be capricious. Could it be that I don’t really trust God the way I say I do? Have I taken my eyes off of what is true and focused on my feelings instead?

In Lamentations 3 the prophet Jeremiah does the same thing. He’s angry with God. Listen to what he says in the first part of this chapter.

“He has walled me in, and I cannot escape. He has bound me in heavy chains. And though I cry and shout, he has shut out my prayers. He has blocked my way with a high stone wall; he has made my road crooked.” (Lamentations 3:7-9, NLV)

“He has made me chew on gravel. He has rolled me in the dust. Peace has been stripped away, and I have forgotten what prosperity is. I cry out, “My splendor is gone! Everything I had hoped for from the Lord is lost!” (Lamentations 3:16-18, NLV)


The prophet Jeremiah wallows in his bitterness and pain for twenty verses. It’s easy to see how his thoughts are spinning around and around in his head, causing him to spiral downward into a pit of self-pity.

Ever been there?

But in Lamentations 3:21 things change. It’s as if a light shines out from the words on the page, cutting through the darkness. Listen to what he says, “Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this…” He stops the downward spiral and chooses to remember.

“The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning. I say to myself, ‘The Lord is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in him!’”(Lamentations 3:22-24, NLT)


What is Jeremiah doing here? He is choosing to take his eyes off his feelings and circumstances and to put it on the TRUTH. In spite of the way he feels, God is good. His love never ends and His mercies are new each day.

I don’t know where you are today, if you are struggling in the pit of despair, or if you’re living every day with a seemingly impossible situation. Wherever you are, God’s desire for you is that you trust Him and that your heart be firmly fixed on Him.

He wants you to know that His love never ends and His mercies never cease. Rest in that today, my friend. Give Him your anxious thoughts, your fears, your anger and your bitterness. He’s big enough to handle it. Then fix your eyes on Him.


Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of this earth with grow strangely dim
In the Light of His glory and grace.
                                                                          (Helen H. Lemmel)
Question: What verse do you go to when you need to remind yourself of God’s goodness?

Kristi Huseby

Kristi is mom to four boys (two of which are in the military). She’s been married to her husband Harold for 26 years and lives in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Kristi is women’s ministry director at their church and much of her time is filled with leading and training women in studying God’s Word. Kristi believes in the power of stories. Jesus used stories in a powerful way to impact people’s lives. His illustrations helped listeners come to see the truth in a new light – to realize their own struggles and grab a hold of God’s love and ability to change lives. She has led retreats and Bible studies and is available to speak to your women’s group. Check out her blog at Check out her bloghttp://www.brokenandredeemed-kristi.blogspot.com

http://powertochange.com/blogposts/2012/07/02/firmly-fixed/

No comments:

Post a Comment