Tuesday 23 April 2013

The Touch of the Master's Hand

"Sing to the Lord with thanksgiving; make music to our God on the harp." Psalm 147:7

My favorite classical guitar piece is called "Recuerdos del Alhambra." And nobody plays it like Christopher Parkening, probably the greatest classical guitarist in the world. My husband, Ken, is friends with Christopher. They both like to fish; so whenever we're together, the subject is trout and tuna.

Recently, the three of us were at our home, and Ken left the room to get an fishing rod to show Christopher. I said, "Chris, I'm sorry to sound like such a fan, but one day I would love it if you would play for me 'Recuerdos del Alhambra.'" Then Ken was back in the room, and the subject turned to fish.

Later that night, as Christopher was about to leave, Ken said, "Hey, I want to show you my high school guitar and see what you think of it." Ken brought out that old, beat-up clunker that had never played much more than "Michael, Row the Boat Ashore." It was cracked, and its strings, fossilized.

I watched Christopher turn the guitar over in his hands and tighten the ancient strings. Eventually, he was able to get the guitar on key. Then he kneeled by my chair and played "Recuerdos del Alhambra." Our living room became a symphony hall; the guitar, a wellspring of soft, melodic, yet powerful music.

Afterwards, as Ken walked Christopher to his car, I stared at the guitar on the couch. I started to laugh. That old guitar never knew it had it in it. I had just seen and heard what the touch of a master's hand could do.
__________________________________

The same is true for you and me. On our own, we can't do much more than "Michael, Row Your Boat Ashore." But then, along comes the Lord Jesus. Suddenly, we're capable of much more than we ever dreamed. We never knew we had it in us, and really, we didn't. It's just the touch of the Master's hand.

Lord Jesus, so much power rests in Your hands - to heal, to enlighten, to enable. Touch me. Thank You.



Blessings,

Joni and Friends
www.joniandfriends.org


Joni and Friends Daily Devotional

No comments:

Post a Comment