Friday 19 April 2013

Why God Might Not Be Answering Your Prayers

Written by Jonathan Kroeker

devo-interact-icon-42x42Take today’s next step: Do you write? Send in your devos for consideration.

“Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.” (1 Peter 3:7)
The easiest way for a married man to make his prayers ineffective is to be inconsiderate or disrespectful to his wife. How many of my own prayers have been scuttled simply because I haven’t been nice to my wife? Just to think about it makes me shudder.

God cares deeply about the state of your marriage because it is meant to be a reflection of Christ’s relationship with His church (Ephesians 5:32). God intends for your neighbor, co-worker, family member, and friend to get a glimpse of the gospel through the way you treat your wife. 
Of course, in our fallen condition, even the best marriage is a blurred representation of the original it is intended to reflect. Nonetheless, God intends for your marriage to be a living witness to the goodness and grace of Jesus Christ.

You’ve heard the saying, “A picture is worth a thousand words.” A good marriage might be worth more than a thousand good sermons on marriage, and it’s because of this that God will neglect hearing your prayers if you will neglect loving your wife. God has designed things in such a way that when a husband mistreats his wife, he will experience a “disconnect” in his relationship with God. His prayer life will feel empty, dry, hollow. He will not see results.

Have you ever considered that it is a merciful thing for God to ignore your prayers if you are being unkind to your wife? It’s merciful because it signals to you that something is wrong— something needs to change. God loves you too much to allow you to deceive yourself into thinking you can have a fruitful and effective spiritual life while mistreating or neglecting your wife.

If you think that God might be ignoring your prayers because of the way you are treating your wife, what should you do? Confess and repent of your sin to God. Ask for your wife’s forgiveness, and pray for the grace to love her in a way that does her good and brings God glory. When you do that, you clear the path to once again experiencing the joy of genuine fellowship with God, deeper intimacy with your wife, and, as a result, renewed effectiveness in prayer.

God, Thank you for Your correction. Examine my heart. Show me if there are any areas of my life where I am not fully submitted to You and give me the strength to repent. I want to love my wife the way that You love the church – willing to sacrifice for her even to the point of death. Teach me how to love her better today than I loved her yesterday and even better yet tomorrow. Amen

QuestionsAre there any ways that I am disrespectful or inconsiderate towards my wife? What do I need to change so that my prayers will not be hindered?

Jonathan Kroeker

Jonathan Kroeker has been the Youth Pastor at Rowandale Baptist Church in Winnipeg, Manitoba since 2005. He most enjoys teaching the Bible to students and helping them grow as disciples of Jesus Christ. Jonathan is married to Jennifer, and they have one son and a baby on the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment