Tuesday 23 April 2013

What Do YOU Pray for During Trials?

My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. — If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. – James 1:2-5
20120223-091406.jpgLast night I was at my church’s weekly prayer meeting, and God brought this scripture passage back to my heart. Well, let’s back up…
Yesterday morning I had to go to the doctor to have some testing done. Long story short, he did not give me the report that I was hoping for. In fact, he said the issue was worse than he originally thought. He told me I’ll have to have minor surgery for testing and treatment before we would even know the severity of the issue, or if it could be reversed.
So, back to the prayer meeting. I’m praying, and the Holy Spirit brings James 1 to my remembrance. So, I look up the scripture on my iPad, read it over a few times, prayed over it, and move on.
Suddenly, as I was waking up this morning (God often speaks to me right as I’m waking up because my mind is the most receptive and isn’t yet crowded with the cares of the day), God started speaking to me about all these things I need to address in the natural to fight against the health challenge I was facing. I started thinking, ‘Lord, where is all this stuff coming from? Is this just all coming from my own thoughts and logic, or is it You?”
Then, He brought verse 5 back to my mind, “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
God showed me something very powerful that I had never noticed before.
This is Chapter 1 of James, and the first thing he feels on his heart to do is to tell God’s kids is what to do when they encounter peirasmos. This word, translated here as temptations, means trials, experiences of evil or adversity.
So, what should we do when we encounter adversity? I always thought James gave us one directive – To count it all joy.
Counting it all joy is important, but we did not simply get directions for controlling our thoughts and emotions during trials. We were given a second instruction. One that many may find to be more practical- To ask God for wisdom.
Interesting. When we are going through a trial, he doesn’t say we are to ask God for a miracle, but for His wisdom.
Now, does God still do miracles? YES! But, is every trial we face going to be met with one? Not necessarily.
But, every battle will be met with the still small voice of the Lord guiding and directing us to victory.
And that is what I experienced this morning. His voice, speaking to me in the early hours of the morning, giving me His wisdom.
It is so comforting to know that I serve a God Who is present. No matter what trials we face, we are never alone!
Thank You Lord for Your faithfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment