Wednesday 24 July 2013

Ask God

Suzanne Benner


Take today’s next step: Pray God’s promises.

“Praise be to you, O LORD; teach me your decrees.” (Psalm 119:12)

Reading Psalm 119 made me stop and consider the things I ask of God. I request safety for my children, success for my plans, health for my friends. These are not bad things, but the psalmists asks for very different things: he set his heart on knowing God through His word.

Over the last month, I made it a daily practice to ask God for the same things as the author of Psalm 119. Because these requests come straight from God’s word, I know I am praying according to God’s will.

Please join me in praying to the Lord in agreement with Psalm 119:


Dear Heavenly Father, do not let me stray from Your commands. Teach me Your decrees and do good to Your servant. Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in Your law. Do not hide Your commands from me, and remove from me scorn and contempt. Renew my life according to Your word, and let me understand the teaching of Your precepts so I may be strengthened according to that same word. Keep me from deceitful ways and do not let me be put to shame. Direct me in the path of Your commands; turn my heart toward Your statutes and my eyes away from worthless things.

O Lord, fulfill Your promise to me, and take away the disgrace I dread. Do not snatch the word of truth from my mouth, but remember Your word to Your servant. Teach me knowledge and good judgment, and preserve my life according to Your love. Accept, O Lord, the willing praise of my mouth and sustain me according to Your promise. Uphold me and ensure Your servant’s well-being. Deal with me according to Your love. Give me discernment, turn to me, and have mercy on me. Redeem me from the oppression of men and make Your face shine upon Your servant.

Answer me, O God, and save me. In accordance with Your love, hear my voice and look upon my suffering. Deliver me, defend my cause, and let me live that I may praise You. I ask these things in the holy name of Jesus, Amen.

Questions: Which requests from Psalm 119 speak most strongly to your heart? How can you use these prayers to intercede for yourself, your family members, and your friends?



Suzanne Benner

Suzanne Benner lives with her husband in Calgary, Canada, where they raised their three children. She is passionate about studying, memorizing and writing about the Bible. She also writes for OneBook a mission organization dedicated to helping nationals develop their language and translate the Bible into their mother tongue. Her novel Birthmark will be available in June 2012.
 
Visit Suzanne Benner’s website




http://powertochange.com/blogposts/2013/06/26/ask-god/

No comments:

Post a Comment