Thursday 11 July 2013

I Will Praise You in the Morning?

Written by Julie Cosgrove


devo-interact-icon-42x421Take Today’s Next Step: Build a Habit 
“They were also to stand every morning to thank and praise the LORD.” (1 Chronicles 23:30)
“Before your feet hit the floor in the morning, praise the Lord,” the retreat leader crowed. “Then crack open the Bible and spend time together with Him at the foot of His throne.”
Inwardly I groaned. “God did not make me a morning person. I can’t speak to anyone without my first cup of coffee. Not even Him,” I whispered to my friend.
She patted my shoulder and replied, “Then pray for that first. Ask Him to change you into a morning person.”

That was six years ago. I still don’t get up in the wee hours before the crack of dawn. My late husband did. He’d pop out of bed at 4am, so the cats became used to being fed as his coffee brewed. Two years into widowhood, I have talked them into waiting until 6am…then I go back to bed for an hour.
When I was an at-home freelance writer for five years, I’d commute down the hall, coffee in hand, and crack open the Bible first thing. Then, I’d write to God and for God before writing for my clients. I found that it set the tone for my day. I was less stressed, more creative and productive, and my words flowed off my keyboard to touch hearts.  On the rare occasion that I’d feel the pressure of a deadline and fall out of that routine, my day would crumble into chaos.  I’d stop, regroup, open my Bible and spend time with the Creator of all things. That old saying “a day knotted at each end with prayer will not fray,” really is true.
Over time, beginning my days with God became a habit.
Today, it is still my routine, even though I have a job at my church. God, in His good grace, found me a job which begins at 9am and is only ten minutes away, so I still have two hours to commune with Him, write my devos and prepare for my day.
Slowly, God has changed me into a morning-for-Him person. He is faithful that way. He took the negative and turned it into a positive by showing me how much better my day would be if I began it with Him.
Not a morning person? Unsure how in the world you could squeeze God-time into your hectic schedule? Stop trying. Chances are it will be hard for you to succeed on your own.
Ask Him to change things instead. Then be obedient to follow the new path, stepping stone by stepping stone. Before long, you will see that He has made the change for you so that you can spend more quality time with Him. After all spending time with you is the desire of His heart as well.
Dearest Lord, thank You for desiring to spend time with me. Please continue to mold me into the person who desires to be with You more and more each day. You said if we seek, we will find. Help me seek You above all else and to find the best way to worship You. Amen.
Questions: When do you find “God-time” in your day? Where do you need to ask for God’s help?
Note: If you want more ideas, check out Squeeze God-time into Your Day on my website    

Julie Cosgrove

Julie B Cosgrove is a Christian freelance writer and professional speaker. She has published three Bible studies, a devotional and a novel called Focused. Besides Power to Change, she regularly writes for several other devotional publications and sites. She belongs to American Christian Fiction Writers, North Texas Christian Writers, Advanced Writers and Speakers Association, North Texas Christian Women's Chamber and Toastmasters. A widow, she lives in Fort Worth with her son and two cats. Visit her website www.juliebcosgrove.com and her blog Where Did You Find God Today.com

No comments:

Post a Comment