Saturday 20 July 2013

Drip...Drip...Drip

No one can write a book about disturbed sleep without devoting a page to the proverbial leaky faucet...or whatever else goes "clang...toot...or drip" in the night.
There's a saying that goes, "It's not the log in the road that slows you down, it's the pebble in your shoe." This principle also applies to sleep. It's not always the worst crises that will keep you awake, but sometimes the neighbor's dog.
But whatever the annoyance is, it can be turned around for God's glory. How? In His Word He promises that He is our "fortress" and our "refuge." What does this mean? It means that there is a special place, deep within your heart, where you can retreat from all the distractions and be only with Him. It's His secret "dwelling place" where no disturbances are allowed.
As the Psalmist tells us, "He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust" (Psalm 91:1-2, NKJV).

The next time someone's radio blares at 2 a.m., a hotel elevator clangs up and down, or the foghorn near your vacation spot toots all night, look on it as an exercise in crawling into God's secret dwelling place...that special refuge where you can joyfully escape in Him!
Our Evening Prayer - Let's Pray Together…
God loves you and wants to answer your prayer. Say this prayer with me:


Heavenly Father, I thank You that even the most unexpected noises and distractions can be used by You for Your glory. Help me to understand more fully what You mean by dwelling in the "secret place" of the Most High. Teach me how to make You my refuge and my fortress. I long to know the safety and serenity of resting under Your wings. In Jesus' Name, Amen.


image


No comments:

Post a Comment