Saturday 3 November 2012

Blood on the toilet paper?


Q. Blood on the toilet paper?

When i go to the toilet and it's number two's there's sometimes a tiny bit of blood on the tissue i'm too embaressed to tell anyone but i'm also quite scared please could you give me advice on what to do to stop it happening?

Molly, 16

A: Dear Mollie

Let's make a deal, Molly. Give it two weeks and if this is still happening, promise me one thing? You'll check it out with your GP. Alright?

Meanwhile, here's what to do:

Be Bendy. Grab a small mirror and some privacy. Have a look down there and make sure it looks healthy. No spots, tears, rashes, bumps or similar.

Be Healthy. Change what you eat and you'll change how you poo. It's not the nicest thought, but a hard or lumpy number 2 can stretch and even tear the delicate lining of our bottoms causing bleeding...ouch.

It's a cut that can't heal 'cause the next time you go to the loo it'll happen again. Thankfully poo-sorting is quick and easy.

Increase your consumption of: Water, fruit juice, fresh and dried fruit, veggies, high fibre cereal and All Things Brown (bread, rice and pasta).

And decrease your chowing of: Milk, eggs, meat, potatoes, cakes/pastries and All Things White (bread, rice and pasta).

We're aiming for a number two that slips out, no problem. In a fortnight you should have healed. If not, please remember our deal: And head for the GP. Your doc sees this kind of thing all the time. They'll soon put your mind at rest, promise.



Meet Dr Mel


Dr Mel seems to be everywhere at the moment. She's onThe Surgery loads and is practically a mega-star! We absolutely love her and know you do too, so we thought we'd ask her some stupid questions to get to know her a bit better.
How did you become a doctor?

My best mate at school decided to apply to medical school. We did everything the same in those days. I had no idea what to do, so I gave it a go. Six years (and a ton of hard work) later I qualified and never looked back. Best decision I ever made.

Being a doctor is the best job in the world. You get to meet so many different people. You are never bored and even though it is stressful and hard work, it is 100% rewarding. Every day you can help someone feel better which makes it all worthwhile.
Have you ever been too embarrassed to talk to your own doctor? Do you even HAVE your own doctor? Or do you, err, doctor yourself?

When I was 17 I was too embarrassed to talk to anyone about my body, never mind my doctor...


I remember one time going in for The Pill and sitting there just dying: This woman had known me since I was a baby. Thankfully she was great and I felt much better after seeing her.

Since being a doctor myself I am sometimes embarrassed to ask my doctor questions. Not because the subject is personal. Just in case she thinks I should know the answer myself!

Seriously though, my doctor is great. All doctors have their own GP, same as everyone. And we are not meant to doctor ourselves, or our friends. Though it doesn’t stop them asking...

What's the weirdest thing you've ever been asked?

At work we get asked weird things all the time. Someone asked me yesterday if it was true that walnuts made your boobs bigger.

We love all that – the weirder the better, it keeps us on our toes. So never feel awkward about any question you have for your doc.

What's your best 'doctor doctor' joke?

Patient: Doctor doctor I keep thinking I’m a vampire.

Doctor: Necks, please!

Now you've got to know Dr Mel, check out her advice here.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/slink/advice/dr-mel/spots-of-blood-on-the-toilet-paper

No comments:

Post a Comment