Wednesday 26 June 2013

Here I Am, Lord

by Pastor Mark Jeske

The Bible is the very Word of God. But these words were not given to mankind all in one gulp, all at the same time, all through one person, all in the same style. The Bible was revealed to us over the course of 1,600 years and utilizes quite a variety of literary styles: history, law, sermons, poems, libretto to a musical, wisdom sayings, drama dialogue, letters, and prophetic visions. Almost all of the Bible is presented in a style that brings information from God to us.
Except the Psalms. The content of the Psalms came from God, but he couched much of the book in first-person language to give us a vocabulary for speaking to him. The Psalms are first-rate devotional literature, guiding our thoughts and emotions as we give God our praises, petitions, groans, laments, puzzles, confessions of sin, cries of pain, and pleas for protection, forgiveness, guidance, and healing.


Roughly half of the Here I Am, Lord devotions express petitions for help, and the other half brings thanks and joy. It is my hope that these little "Bible studies for busy people" will enrich your prayer life and lead you to an even greater appreciation of the marvelous spiritual resource called the Psalms.

I Lost My Temper Again

I don't mean to do it. Really, I don't. Lord, I know what you say in your Word: "Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret-it leads only to evil" (Psalm 37:8). But I have a boiling point, and it seems as if the people in my life just keep provoking me.

Don't they see how hard I'm trying to keep everything together? Can't they see the points I'm trying to make? Don't they realize I can't stand being laughed at?

I guess I'm just making excuses. I know I hurt people when I get angry. I feel so righteous at first. I love the surge of adrenaline, the wildness of letting go. I think that if I let the anger come out of me, then it won't stay bottled up inside. But I hurt people, and I know I hurt you too.

I'm sorry, Lord; please forgive me. Help me have the humbleness and grace also to ask for forgiveness from the people who had to bear the brunt of my tirade. Please send a special measure of your Spirit and replace my anger with inner peace. Help me listen more and shout less. Help me trust other people more and get over some of my terrible insecurities. Help me trust that you will make all things right in the end. You are good to me, and your mercy endures forever.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment