Monday 24 June 2013

When You Feel Like You Can’t Breathe

Sharon Jaynes

“All Scripture is God-breathed,” (2 Timothy 3:16 NIV).

“Let’s go scuba diving!” a friend exclaimed one hot summer day.

“That sounds great,” I said. “But I don’t know how.”

“Just leave it to me,” he said.

I was 17 when I decided to go scuba diving with some friends. I had no training and should not have been in deep water, but I was young and threw caution to the wind. The friend who took me below the surface of the deep strapped an oxygen tank on his back, a mask on his face, and flippers on his feet. I only had a mask and flippers.

“Where’s my oxygen?” I asked.

“I have it,” he answered as he patted the tank on his back. “What we’re going to do is jump into the water. I’m going to take a breath through the mouthpiece and then pass it to you. You’ll take a breath and pass it back to me. It’s called buddy breathing.”


So into the ocean we jumped. He put his arm around my waist like I was a sack of potatoes and down we went. John drew oxygen from the tank and then passed the breathing apparatus to me. We took turns breathing. It then occurred to me that I was totally dependent on this young friend to keep me alive.

This was not a very smart idea, but it did leave me with a great life lesson. At various times we will all find ourselves in deep waters. We may feel as though we are drowning with no help in sight. And then a friend comes along and hands us the breathing apparatus. We take a breath and rise quickly to the surface.

Words of my friends have been like oxygen when I feel as though I’m drowning. Even today I have a mental scrapbook of encouraging words passed along to me in the ocean of despair. God has sent friends my way who have strapped on the Word of God and passed the life-giving words to me when I’ve needed them most.

Buddy breathing. That’s what we can do for each other when a friend forgets how to draw in the air she needs. That’s what God does for us each time we open the pages of His Word and listen to Him.


Can I just say right now that I am thankful for you? I am thankful that you have allowed us to come into your life for just a moment, to breathe God’s word into your life. You, my friend, have breathed life into ours.

Let’s Pray
Lord, thank You for friends who breathe life into me when I feel as though I can’t go on. Show me someone who needs a tender touch, a winning word, or a strong shoulder to lean on today. And, Lord, thank You for being that friend for me. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Now It’s Your Turn
Read 2 Timothy 3:1-17 to put today’s truth in context.

Think of one friend who has breathed life into you when you felt like you were drowning.

Now leave your name in the comment box below. I am going to randomly pick 3 names and send them a free copy of this month’s featured book, Listening to God Day-by-Day, so that I can breathe life into you!

Want More?
Do you love a good story? I do! Stories tug at the heart and open the eyes to the truths of Scripture in a way only God can do. I have compiled 100 of my favorite stories and devotions into one book titled, Listening to God Day-by-Day. It is the perfect book for a quick pick-me-up before you start your busy day or a sweet dreams closure before you turn off the bedside lamp at night.

And here’s some good news, this book is specially priced for the month of June. Get one for yourself, and we’ll include another free for you to share. It won’t show up on your receipt, but we’ll make sure it is included in your package.

And if you want to learn more about how to use your words to speak life into those around you-how to encourage and not discourage- check out my book The Power of a Woman’s Words.



Meet Sharon
Sharon Jaynes has been encouraging women through ministry for over twenty-five years. From the time she met Christ as a teenager, she fell in love with God’s Word and has had a passion to equip women to live fully and free (John 8:32; John 10:10). Her passion is toencourage, and empower women to walk in courage and confidence as they grasp their true identity as a child of God and a co-heir with Christ.
For ten years Sharon served as Vice President of Proverbs 31 Ministries and co-host for their daily radio feature. She is the author of 17 books with Harvest House, Moody, and Multnomah Publishers (see resource page for details). She has also written numerous magazine articles and devotions for publications such asFocus on the FamilyExtraordinary Women, Decision,Crosswalk.com and In Touch. Sharon is a frequent guest on radio and television programs such as Revive Our Hearts with Nancy Leigh DeMoss, Family Life Today with Dennis Rainey, and Focus on the Family.
Besides her own books, she has also been a contributing author in many books such as Chicken Soup for the Sports Fan’s SoulStories for the Teens HeartStories for the Man’s Heart, and the Women’s Devotional Bible. Her books have been translated into several different languages including Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Korean
Sharon is the co-founder of Girlfriends in God, Inc., a non-denominational ministry that crosses generational, denominational and racial boundaries to bring the Body of Christ together as believers. She, along with her ministry partners, Mary Southerlandand Gwen Smith, provide daily on-line devotions read by approximately 400,000 subscribers and turn-key conferences packages

Now what you really want to know…

That was the  official bio, and honestly, it makes me sound a lot more studious and accomplished than I really am. So let me tell you what you really need to know.
I’m just a simple gal raised in eastern North Carolina who loves the beach, drinks too much sweet tea and is still crazy about her husband after thirty-two years.  If there was ever a situation where I had to run for my life, I’d just plan on meeting Jesus because I wouldn’t get very far. The treadmill is becoming my new friend, but we’re not all that chummy yet.
I have one grown son that lives 767.5 miles away (yes, I timed it). Being his mom has been one of the greatest joys of my life, but he grew up without my permission. Seriously, he is a creative whipper-snapper whom God has used to teach me many life lessons.
When I write my blogs, women always say, “how did you know exactly what I am going through.” My answer is always the same, “because I’m going through the very same stuff you are.” I don’t have it altogether and I certainly don’t have all the answers. But I do know the One Who does, and there’s nothing I love better than grabbing hold of a sister’s hand and learning how to live fully and free in Christ together.

A Note From Sharon

“We women today face many struggles and challenges trying desperately to balance our varied roles and responsibilities. If you’re like me, you’re looking for peace in the chaos of life, perspective among the cultural clattering that daily bombards us, and purpose that brings true fulfillment. I’ve discovered there’s only one place to find peace – it’s God peace; there is only one place to find a proper perspective – it’s God’s truth; and only one place to find true fulfillment – in discovering God’s purpose for my life.
One of my greatest joys has been having the privilege of watching God change women’s lives: setting the captive free, mending broken hearts, or opening the eyes of a new believer for the very first time. Whether it is a person’s first experience with the Savior or a seasoned saint growing deeper in her faith, my passion is to tell women about the truth that will set them free to be all that God has intended for them to be in Him (John 8:32; John 10:10).
My prayer for each life that I have the privilege of touching is “that they will be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge” (Colossians 2:2-3).
- Sharon Jaynes
Sharon Jaynes - Weekly Devotion

http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=05732bd4d83d524af0fbbb9bf&id=462936eab6&e=aace61adb1

No comments:

Post a Comment